It really is the little things...

On this cold, snowy afternoon, I've compiled a list of some of the material things I am thankful for. 

The box of fruit my mom sent me
My mom sends the most unique care packages ever, and I absolutely love them! Last time I was home for the weekend, I was talking to my mom about how expensive fruit is.  I really enjoy eating fruit, and sometimes grabbing an apple on my way out of the cafeteria just doesn't cut it. (Once, I was planning on buying a plastic tub of assorted fruit from Publix, but it was almost $12. Never mind. I don't need vitamin C that bad.) So, for Valentine's Day, my mom sent me a box filled with apples, oranges, bananas, and some caramel dip, along with a Cracker Barrel gift card for Ben and I to use. My mom is awesome!

My water bottle
My purple 22 ounce water bottle never leaves my side. I carry it with me everywhere I go, whether it's to class, or to the gym, or to go eat. (This way, I don't have to get one of those tiny water cups they give you at fast food places, and I'm not even tempted to get sweet tea or a Dr. Pepper with my meal.) One thing I've learned while I've been here is the importance of drinking water. (And a lot of it!) I try my best to fill my water bottle four times throughout the day, and on the glorious days that I make it to the gym, I refill it an extra time. I've been at this for about a month, and it's amazing the difference purposefully adding water to your day makes. I used to have problems with acne (probably stress related), but ever since I started drinking more water, I can count the breakouts I've had on one hand. I even feel more energized and refreshed throughout the day, and I don't have to eat as much to feel full! It does take a while to get used to drinking a ton of water, but I would definitely recommend you try it!

My Lilly Pulitzer agenda

If you know me, then you know how excited I was when I got my Lilly Pulitzer agenda. I love being organized, and keeping a calendar is a fabulous way of keeping everything straight.  (I know, I know. I've basically become a younger version of my mother, which isn't a bad thing at all! I love you, Mom!) I write down absolutely everything about my day, like my to-do list(s), my plans for the evening, how many miles I ran or biked, and what's due on that day. This particular agenda has a good setup to help keep my month organized; each month is followed by pages of daily planning space.
SelfControl
I've mentioned that I am a productive procrastinator, and that's partially due to the SelfControl app on my MacBook. This app allows you to place restrictions on what websites you can visit during a set amount of time. You set a "blacklist," which is a list of sites that you cannot visit. (My blacklist includes Facebook, Pinterest, Thredup, Amazon, and other websites that tempt me to waste time.) Once you set the timer, your browser won't let you access those websites until the timer runs out. You can even restart your computer, and it still won't let you access the sites on your blacklist. I use this app almost everyday! Typically, I set my timer at night right before I go to sleep to a time where I won't be able to access certain sites until 8:00 the next evening. This way, I'm more motivated to work hard during the day so I am able to relax (and yes, waste a little time) in the evenings.

A much needed day off
This morning, I had a psychology test at 10:00. On my way out of the building, I was on the phone with my mom when my friend Courtney told me that classes were cancelled for the rest of the day, because of the ice and snow! Since Mondays are my hardest days (5 classes, a 3-hour lab, and only one 45 minute break in-between), you can imagine how excited I was! I was able to meet some friends that I haven't seen in weeks for lunch at the BCM. I finished two chemistry assignments that are due next week, and I'll have plenty of time to study for my chemistry exam on Wednesday. Even though I'm going to be stuck inside for most of the afternoon, it's going to be a great day!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Plymouth, NZ

March 2015

Manawatu Gorge